C program to convert the given binary number into decimal/
C program to convert the given binary number into decimal
This C language program converts a given binary number to decimal number. Binary numbers are the one which contains only 0 and 1. The program flow is as follows:
1. Take a binary number as input.
2. Starting from the last digit, multiply each digits of the binary number with the powers of 2 respectively(starting with 0).
3. Add all the multiplied digits.
4. The total sum gives the decimal number.
C program to convert the given binary number into decimal - Source code
/* C program to convert the given binary number into decimal */
int binaryToDecimal(long binary_num)
int decimal_num = 0, i = 0, remainder;
remainder = binary_num % 10;
binary_num = binary_num / 10;
decimal_num = decimal_num + remainder*pow(2,i);
printf("Enter a binary number: ");
printf("Equivalent decimal number is: %d", binaryToDecimal(binary_num));
Enter a binary number: 10001001
Equivalent decimal number is: 137
Enter a binary number: 10001010
Equivalent decimal number is: 138
1. A separate function binaryToDecimal is created to convert the given binary number to decimal.
2. Accept a binary number and store it in the variable binary_num.
3. Call the function binaryToDecimal function with one parameter binary_num from inside the printf statement.
4. Inside the user defined function, initialize the variable decimal_num and variable i to 0.
5. Obtain the remainder of the binary number using the modulus operator (%). Store the remainder in the variable remainder. Divide the decimal number by 10 to cut off the last digit.
6. Multiply remainder with the 2^i and add it to the decimal_num variable.
7. Increment the variable i by 1.
8. Repeat the steps 5, 6 and 7 until the binary_num value becomes 0.
9. Print the variable decimal_num as output.
10. Here note that it is necessary to include math.h header file as we are using the library function pow.
Install Computer Science Bits Android app to access all study material on the go.